Grade Levels: 5th Grade, 6th Grade, 7th Grade, 8th Grade, 9th Grade, 10th Grade, 11th Grade, 12th Grade,
Topics: Biology (General)Environmental ScienceEarth Science
· Coral reef
· Gulf Stream
· Hydrothermal vent
· Sustainable development
· Understands the importance of biodiversity for the viability of an ecosystemDownload the Teacher Guide PDF
Procedure: This project should be done in teams of three or four students.
Distribute the handout and discuss it. Have each team study the memo carefully and make notes about exactly what they are supposed to do.
Tell the students they will need to work out a way to divide up the labor.
Give students a schedule for working on the project and a due date.
Sea Books Inc.
Knowledge of the oceans has always been important to humankind, but at the close of the 20th century we are finding that our survival as a species may depend on that knowledge.
For this reason, SeaBooks, Inc., a publishing company with over a century of experience creating books about the oceans for mariners and oceanographers, is launching a new set of titles intended for the general public.
One of the first of these new books will be an illustrated glossary of the ocean. We are therefore contacting author/illustrator teams whom we feel might be qualified to create such a book.
If you are interested in doing this work, we ask that you submit a set of sample pages for the consideration of our editors. The requirements are as follows:
1) From the list below, select 10 terms. (The terms that are asterisked have more complex definitions. You may choose to exclude all of them, but the editors will take that into account in reviewing your submission.)
2) For each term, create one page that presents a clear definition of the term and an appropriate illustration or photograph.
3) The definition should be comprehensible to the general public; thus it should not itself use terms which most people would not understand.
4) The illustration can be a black and white or color drawing, or a photograph. If we do not happen to select your team to do this project, we will return your sample pages and you will retain your ownership of them. We look forward to your submission..