Grade Levels: 3rd Grade, 4th Grade, 5th Grade, 6th Grade,
Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS): Analyzing and Interpreting Data,
- Understanding energy as the agent of change.
- Investigating how sunlight affects plant growth.
- Applying the Scientific Method with a control group.
- Fostering critical thinking and data analysis skills.
Throughout the “Plant Power Up” lesson, students will develop and apply the following knowledge and skills:
- Understanding the concept of energy and its significance in the natural world.
- Recognizing the role of the sun as a source of energy for plant growth.
- Applying scientific inquiry and the Scientific Method to design and conduct experiments.
- Data collection and analysis to draw conclusions about energy transfer and plant development.
- Critical thinking and observation skills as students compare results between the sunlit and dark environments.
- Fostering curiosity and scientific exploration while building a solid foundation in life science and energy concepts.
- Detailed lesson plan.
- Student handout for observations.
- Guidance for setting up the experiment.
- Discussion points on energy and plant biology.
Explore the fascinating world of energy and plant biology in our “Plant Power Up” lesson. This engaging science plan covers the following key topics:
- The concept of energy and its role in causing change.
- The observable effects of solar energy, including light and heat.
- The Law of Conservation of Energy, emphasizing energy transfer.
- The Scientific Method, with a focus on setting up and observing a control group.
- Hands-on planting experiment to investigate the influence of sunlight on plant growth.